My selected piece: Slide 57 of the Week 7 lecture, "The Black Box" by Erika Kruger, Project 4, "Shadow as Solid", Memorial for Ground Zero, New York:

At first I was puzzled why the haphazard forms, and their corresponding shadows, bothered me so much. And then I realized because it evoked distressing, powerful imagery forever locked in my memory; imagery of the destruction, and rampant desolation, from that fateful September morning. In my simple interpretation of the significance of Kruger’s composition, I deeply appreciate the power of architecture to convey significant and meaningful ideas and themes about us, our worlds, and the experiences we possess as our ‘metaphysical heritage’. Charles Darwin and Stephen Hawking are two very significant people; I hope my architecture expresses the vitality of their work, the essence of their beliefs, and the complexity of the worlds they devoted their lives to explore and understand. I hope that despite the disparity between the two of them, I have constructed an architecture that allows them to co-exist and intertwine in a significant yet harmonious way… just as Kruger’s work in Project 4 is significant, albeit tragic…



http://gothamist.com/2008/03/29/concrete_for_91.php



http://ginacobb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/29/september_11_ground_zero.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers